Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vintage Christmas...

Oh Christmas Tree! This was a project I led at art group last week. These darling little trees became my fairy forest and were inspired from a recent Somerset Studio magazine - I just had  to make them. They were a big hit and the glitter and tattered angels were flying. Helene will be seeing glitter for months! LOL. (sorry :))
HOW: using  diferent sizes of circle punches and recycling old books, the circles (starting with the largest size) is pushed onto a skewer until the "tree" is as full as desired. Hot glue bottom end into a wooden skewer. Using tattered angels spray or diluted paint in a spray bottle, spray tree as much as you like. I then used mod podge or matte gel and liberally coated the edges of the circles, finally sprinkling glitter. I used beads as toppers.



Christmas and vintage just seem to go together for me. I get all warm and fuzzy when reminiscing about the anticipation of Christmas eve, helping my Grandparents prepare for the big night. Being French-Canadian, our traditions stem from a magical family celebration in anticipation for the arrival of Pere Noel! I can remember building a huge snowman with my Grampa, he had a real pipe and lantern, which we lit to greet the guests. That year we also made baskets out of walnuts - Grampa carved and I made tiny little blankets out of felt and hung them from the tree. Nostalgic Memories...
I came across these vintage postcards on the Graphic Fairy's Blog (thank-you!) and was instantly transported back to that time...inspired, I whipped these tags up last night...



No comments:

Post a Comment